Locus is a bespoke, mystery/horror roleplay game with unique mechanics crafted entirely around horror.
It is a game about flawed character, about exploring consequence and morality against a backdrop of very real, supernatural and monstrous danger.
The game master assumes the position of a Director, who conducts their Cast (the players) in their tragic play of characters haunted by their own pasts and a scenario which aims to turn those haunts against them.
The goal is two-fold – to unravel the mystery of the world, and then survive it.
Locus offers a number of unique features to facilitate the horror stories it is made to tell.
- Negative attributes – You do not decide how well your character might perform tasks. Instead, you score how badly they might do.
- Haunts – Every character comes with a Haunt. This is an event in their past that weighs upon them. This acts as the focus for the personal horror that character must confront.
- Custom made monsters – Locus includes the rules and a guide to create your own monsters to reflect each of the player characters, their fears and their failings.
- Item cards – Notable items are represented on cards the players can hold. However, they degrade with use, making each use a decision with consequences.
- Simple execution – The rules are designed to facilitate horror and provide meaningful decisions and cues for characters and Director while not getting in the way of the roleplaying experience.