This material was posted on patreon by Milby’s Maps
My story about this place– and, of course, everyone is welcome to replace any or all of it with their own– is that it’s a community of exiles. Drow, duergar, deep gnomes and other underdark denizens who fled or were cast out of their own societies come here to live among the other undesirables.
Here’s a few of the ideas I’ve come up with for residents of the spire:
- A duergar married to a mountain dwarf from Brazenthrone.
- A friendly, outgoing deep gnome merchant who’s responsible for seven murders in his hometown.
- A duergar paladin of Moradin, god of the mountain dwarves.
- A completely sane and reasonable derro.
- A male drow who fled his abusive family and fell in love with a human who was the most compassionate, caring woman he’d ever met. She’s actually a semi-notorious ex-pirate with a vengeful disposition, but she is very kindhearted by drow standards.
While the locals generally tolerate other races fairly well– a necessity for living here– language and culture have led to some parts of the spire being predominantly one race or another. The third level here is mostly duergar. There are quite a few of them in the spire, largely due to the fact that their strict societies reject anything but total obedience and conformity. And any sort of fun is basically illegal.
The levels above this will be predominantly deep gnomes and drow. The top level, which connects to the citadel, will be devoted to the guards. I’ve got some thoughts on who the guards will be and who’s in charge of the place, but it’s still pretty nebulous, so I’ll talk more about that once I’ve worked it out a bit more.
Anyway, I hope you like how it’s coming along. Let me know what you think so far!
This is an affiliate post